Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blog Transitions


Towards the end of Advanced Drawing, the question arose of what was to become of our blogs. We were encouraged to keep developing them over the summer -- to especially develop them over the summer, when students struggle to keep working in the absence of class. For me, this means my blog will largely deal with my Friedland grant project. I'm creating a series of paintings that deal with themes of performer, audience, history, and anachronism, within the setting of Renaissance festivals.


I plan on taking my reference photos, like the shot above of Jay and Abby Michaels, The Harper and the Minstrel, and creating some collages to work out compositions. This photo comes from my favorite stage at the Florida Renaissance Festival, where the acts seem to focus more on history and period music. I just got back from the Georgia Renaissance Festival, which has a very different atmosphere, mostly because of their different architecture. Integrating the imagery will be a challenge, but I definitely want the paintings to feel as if they come from the same world.

I'll also be doing some research on Baroque painting. The Baroque style came after the Renaissance, but the paintings are more interesting to me personally, and I may find the disparity useful, as the series is largely about anachronism.
Photos to come, once I've organized them.

1 comment:

  1. This photo points out to me that I also love the idea of painting a painting of performers performing in front of a painting. You mentioned in a later post (that I read earlier) the idea that painting itself might be anachronistic. That's the stuff of an incredibly long conversation (and an interesting one). In a lot of these images (and a lot of your discussions of them), you create a conversation (and a studio process) in which practices point back to themselves. That recursiveness could be a terrific additional layer to this project (which already has a bunch of "meta" aspects).

    ReplyDelete