Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sourcing the Past


Once I arrived at the Georgia Renaissance Festival, I knew its environment was the most important thing to study. The performances were all very good, but I really got wrapped up in the buildings, the stages, and the presentation of everything. It felt like a world apart from both the "real world", and the festivals I was familiar with. I walked into that fair with a rough idea of how my paintings might look, and I left with source material to create that look.

For example, I knew I was interested in setting my characters against a dark background, but including hints of setting and scenery to give them a context. I found the still life pictured here set up at the gypsy storytellers' stage, and realized it was an example of what I was looking for to contribute to environment. In addition to being items that will reinforce the narrative of the characters they are pictured with, this still life has characteristics which we discussed all the time in Professor Hurlburt's class. It features many different materials, several of which are reflective. It sits on an ornate piece of patterned fabric. The setup is like many Baroque still lives we looked it. I plan on using it to add interest and narrative to a painting, while reinforcing ties to the Baroque and art history.

No comments:

Post a Comment