Monday, July 18, 2011

Busyness

It's been a busy summer. I always feel like such a lazy person but even I have to objectively say I have been working pretty hard. I am learning about painting. I've applied for jobs and an internship. I've lost twenty pounds. I've been working as many hours as I can score at my nametag job. I've been writing a pretty cool blog ;) . I've been developing a studio practice and setting up a studio. I've even dabbled in cooking a bit.

Professor Broderick likes to talk about the importance of getting 'no's'. Get a 'no' every week. Get a thousand 'no's' a year. Apply to thirty grad schools, so no one 'no' will hurt too bad. I got a 'no' recently that left me pretty disappointed- I didn't make the curatorial assistant internship. But I have to take the prof's advice, and just be proud I put myself out there. Getting enough 'no's' means saying a lot of 'yeses'. Yes I will interview for this position. Yes I will take a qualification test for a new job. Yes I will take those extra hours. Yes I will spend fifteen dollars on a teeny tube of paint even though it makes me cringe. 'Yeses' keep you busy.

I took this weekend off to spend some time with my cousins. It was such a good weekend I couldn't even manage a little guilt about relaxing. And when I got home, I had some gifts waiting for me.

A professor had e-mailed me back. I got a reply from the fabulous Sally at alreadypretty.com. And I have three invitations to interview for new jobs.

Moral: get lots of no's. With them will come yeses.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Megan
    I was told "NO" teachings jobs were available, "NO" to funding programs like art and drama, "NO" to several other interviews. And finally, a great big yes! I just got a job teaching art and drama to middle school students at a charter school.Your blog is a great inspiration! Thanks for the post! I wish you the best of luck & can't wait to hear about the next "yes" you receive. Your a great artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, this is fabulous news. I know from your art how important family is to you, and I am sure you will bring that kinship to your class. What an excellent opportunity for both you and the student who get to work with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, thank you for this post! It's true I'm a big fan of getting lots of "no"s, however I hadn't thought to frame the risk-taking in the way that you did--that each "no" has a "yes" as its prerequisite. I appreciate that insight (and, if you don't mind, I'll be sharing with others from now on). Ultimately, you've hit the truth of it--that taking these risks is all about saying "yes" to your own work and your own goals. Awesome job! (And a big "congratulations" to Stephanie for her big "yes"!)

    ReplyDelete