Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why I'm Not Using This Picture.

I wrote in my grant proposal that I planned to "capture moments of anachronism" when taking reference photos. So when I snapped this shot, I felt like it was perfect.


This shows musicians Owain Phyfe and Conrado Garcia using electronic tuners to tune their instruments. When I took this photo I felt like it really communicated the idea of the future as an intrusion on the performance of the past. But the more I live with this project, the less I like this photo. It makes the musicians, both enormously talented and among my favorite performers, look sloppy. And that's not the case. I probably took this photo before their set even started.
I don't want to belittle the artists, and I don't want to oversell the idea of anachronism.
In some way, I think the act of painting is anachronism enough.

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree--I love this photo. It's not that they look sloppy. Rather, this is a photo in which they aren't aware that they're being observed. That's quite a moment for you to have captured, and it allows the viewer a different sort of access to the world you're depicting. I think it's a good thing that this photo is under your skin (all the best ideas are that way at the beginning). Put this photo aside if you want, but please don't rule it out. I think it's the very sort of human image that will help viewers relate to your project on an intimate and intuitive level. That would represent a nice counterpoint to the narrative complexity you're building with the focus on anachronism.

    ReplyDelete